We’re hiring our first product designer!
Full Time · Remote
At Icebreaker, we’re building an entirely new digital experience that prioritizes the depth & authenticity of human connections over the volume of likes and views. We’re helping communities build stronger relationships among their members, and driving towards a better world — where people feel deeply connected to the communities that matter most to them, where loneliness and hostility decline, and where cooperation and empathy are the norm.
We believe in creating a truly happy place to work. Our founders — a social-change technologist, an activist turned entrepreneur, and a community organizer — are movement builders with a track record of success from Change.org, Hustle, MIT Media Lab, Facebook, and some of the biggest political movements of the past decade.
We care deeply about design. We are backed by Designer Fund, who will be a support partner for you, our design team, and our company.
This position, like all positions at Icebreaker, is located wherever on the planet you happen to be.
Our Dream Candidate
We’re excited to be hiring our first product designer! Our dream candidate would have the following qualities:
- Extremely strong product & visual design skills. As our first product designer, you’ll set the bar for excellence. You will make the most important design decisions and work hand-in-hand with engineering to bring your designs to life.
- A true generalist. You’ll be responsible for the end-to-end design, including UX research, UI, and visual design. You’ll also own non-product design needs such as marketing communication and materials. You need to be just as comfortable — and just as eager — to work at the highest levels of abstraction as you are at the smallest levels of detail.
- Startup mentality. Startups are fast-paced, ever-changing, and uncertain. You will wear many hats. You’ll at least need to be okay with that – and ideally, you’ll embrace it.
- Focus on impact. You will constantly need to weigh the need to invest in high-level concept design against the urgency of getting features out the door. We’ll rely on you to make reasonable choices constantly.
- Belief in our mission. Community should play an active role in your life. You understand our mission and believe in the company’s potential to realize it.
- Own every aspect of product design, from research and concepts to interactions and pixels
- Work hand-in-hand with the founders and our engineering team to build the highest-priority features
- Step in as needed on design outside of the core product, such as for marketing & communication design
- Act with the highest personal integrity and ethics
- 5+ years product design experience, including 2+ years in a senior role
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and ever-changing startup environment
- Passion for building authentic connection in an increasingly disconnected world
Interested? Send your resume and a short note about you to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe that the best teams are comprised of people from different backgrounds and experiences who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, Icebreaker actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate based on any characteristic protected by law.